Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Twins a'comin

Hi friends!

I just wanted to touch base with you all again and give you an update, and ask for many prayers. James and I went to the High-Risk parionatologist ultrasound on Wed morning to check the membranes of the babes (essentially if they are in one or two sacs). They found they are in one sac together, which makes us mono-amniotic, and about 1 in 60,000 pregnancies, one step below conjoined twins. Mainly this is a risk because the boys can get tangled around each other or the cords because they share the same sac. Although they are both incredibley strong and the same size right now, the biggest danger is the next 4-5 weeks because they are not viable until after 24 weeks of pregnancy. We knew going into the ultrasound, that there was a possibility of much monitoring, but I was very much surprised to find out that after school is out, I will have to be admitted to Centennial Hospital where I will stay until the babies are born (most likely mid-July, unless something goes wrong) for constant monitoring and tests. I am not on bedrest, I just have to be there in case something were to go wrong they can go in immediately and hopefully get everyone out safe. Although not ideal, we know it is for the best. With this type of pregnancy the mortality rate is around 20% because if one dies, then something with the cords and the blood flow causes the other to die very quickly, but this of course goes down once I get into the hospital. We are praying for continuing healthy babes! There is so much technical jargon, so I hope this all made sense! Mainly we're asking for many prayers along the way! And for my sanity in the hospital :) I guess I'll make a few quilts while I'm in there ;)

Much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment